Do pigs play?
Pigs are very clever animals. Pigs hate to get bored and prefer to play all day. When you look at a stall in a pig farm, you can see all the toys they can play with.
Pigs are very clever animals. Pigs hate to get bored and prefer to play all day. When you look at a stall in a pig farm, you can see all the toys they can play with. There are all kinds of toys made just for pigs. They can have a nibble on the toys, eat them or knock them around with their snout.
What do pigs play with?
- A chain: In their natural surroundings, pigs chew on pebbles. That’s why there are often strong chains in the pig stall, which are also great for chewing on.
- Straw tubes: A straw tube is fitted with pressed straw so that pigs can have fun sticking their nose in.
- Balls: Pigs love footballs… but they play with them using their snouts! Just imagine a whole team of pigs doing that on a football pitch.
- Sika: A sika is a tube with a chain on either side and a teething ring. It rattles and makes a sound, which pigs love.
- Jerry can: Nothing is more fun for pigs than pushing a jerry can around! A pig can get wild with it!
- Rope: Each stall has a thick rope that the pigs can easily nibble on. There’s nothing like a game of tug-of-war!
Did you know that pigs can really talk to each other? A grunt isn’t just a grunt. Each sound has its own meaning for pigs.
Have you ever heard the saying ‘lazy pig’? Although a pig likes to play a lot, they also love lazing around and doing nothing from time to time. Especially around other pigs, because pigs are real social creatures!
Test your knowledge
Sometimes, when you’re giving a presentation, you might need to ask the audience questions. Why not test your own knowledge here? You could use them in your presentation.